Read The Latest Posts
The Viaduct Readership Project is dedicated to the preservation and reparation of public green areas. The goal is to create a unique fleet that will take advantage of the residents and visitors of the Philadelphia area. The Viaduct, which was 100 years ago in the center of the city, is a railway network that passes over new and rapidly restored quarters north of the original city center. Although not seen in the first place, the Viaduct goal will be to become a magnet for residential and commercial development in these quarters. Adaptive reuse of Viaduct, along with ongoing investments and renovation in the surrounding quarters, preserves and restores the heart’s industrial heart while generating additional development and tax revenue for the city’s casualty.
History of Viaduct
The lineage was built in early 1890 and represents a combined zone of bridged steel construction and porthole, which passes through 10 blocks across the quays of Callowhill and Chinatown North, to Vine Street to Fairmount Avenue. Train trains used the Viaduct to access the Reading Headhouse Terminal and Market Street (where the Grand Hall of the Pennsylvania Convention Center is now located). The use of Viaducta ceased in 1984, when the new, central city tunnel was opened. Today, these elevated paths of Viaducta have plummeted in the lawn and the trees. These are two lines that offer a beautiful view of Philadelphia’s quarters and lines. In 2003, local residents formed an Asthma Project to prevent the transformation of Viaduct into an elevated linear park, combined with the current development of the surrounding quarters.
The two-branch lineage is the majority connecting several different parts of the city. Starting from Vine Street, on the eastern coast from the Chinese Quarter to the Callowhill Street, where it slopes to the west and the northwest. The industrial buildings of the 19th and 20th centuries surrounding this part of the city attract new investors and even commercial development itself and thus the increasing number of new residents in the post-industrial part of the town. The Northeast street continues on the 915th street of a spring garden street (the former library building, which has been completely renovated and is now used for studio art), and in the neighboring West Poplar and Brandywine East neighborhood, and continues northward. This line ends at Fairmount Avenue. The West Line begins in Callowhill Street, which descends to the 13th and Noble Street, then leads straight to North Broad Street. The Viaduct will add to the enjoyment of the reconstruction of the northern part of the city.
Financial Assistance In 2003
Year 2003 The City of Philadelphia has received financial assistance to consider the alternative to the development of Viaduct. The study analyzed the cost of removing Viaduc compared to the cost of rebuilding Viaducta as a fleet. The study was carried out by the company’s Urban Engineer, and the study concluded that the estimate of the cost of removing Viaduc is almost 10 times higher than the cost of solving the existing problems and restoring the structure of the park itself. The development of a fleet, including environmental design, benches, access ramps and pillars, is estimated to cost about $ 5.1 million, while estimating the same structure is estimated at somewhere between $ 35.5 million and $ 51.2 million.
Philadelphia and Trenton Railroad were built in February 1832. Their basic capital amounts to $ 600,000. The warehouse is located on large land areas between Frankford Road and Front Street. On March 23, 1839, he made a second collective act in the capital. The firm was given permission to resume its traces from the Kensington warehouse at Frankford Road and Maiden Street for the next year, while the other railroad did not build on the second route from the Kensington warehouse to the 3rd and Willow Street warehouse.
Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company brought the solution on April 4, 1833. The main and principal goal of the firm was to build a railroad from Petrova Island, four miles from Philadelphia, to connect with Philadelphia. The distance was fifty-four miles. One was open for travel in 1835 while the Richmond Harbor Terminal became active in 1842. In 1850, the state railroad was moved from 13th and Callowhill Street to Peters Bay, it was purchased by the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company.
History of North Pennsylvania Railways
In 1851, there was significant interest in building a railway linking Philadelphia with the Lehigh region. This resulted in co-operation in April 1852 between Philadelphia, Easton and Water Gap Railroad Company. The name of the new firm was also changed in April 1853 to the new company North Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The firm began formally with work in July 1855, an excursion to the Cohoquinoque train station, Front, and Willow Street, in Fort Washington. the track to Bethlehem was put into operation in 1857. The main iron storehouse remained on the Front and Willow streets until 1864, when it was moved to Germantown Road, above Thompson’s streets (later used as a warehouse for dairy products). Years later, the warehouse was built on Third and Berks streets. North Pennsylvania Railways are today an integral part of the Reading Rail System, which are the oldest and longest remaining members.
New railroad idea in the city
Like in New York and Chicago, the city of Philadelphia is about to turn overboard overhead railways into green areas. Instead of the railroad, the thresholds will be the lower trees, the flowers and the greenery that has sunk in this part of the city. The overground railroad, which he has sent with the introduction of the subway, will thus get a completely different role. Overground parks connect 50 blocks of this great city. Not only will the Philadelphia residents be able to enjoy the green areas, but they will also be able to reach the desired shores in the shade of the crown.
The Pennsylvania Community awarded a railroad charter in 1846 to build the first railway line to connect Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. Among the selected builders was John Edgar Thomson, a technician from Georgia Railroad, to design the line. He had chosen a route along the west coast of the Susquehanna River to the mouth of the Juniata riverbank. Following the coastline, everything is on the foot of the Allegheny mountain all the way to Altoona, Pennsylvania. In order to pass through the mountain, the line had to be at the height of 10 miles until two mountain wings crossed by the cleft, so that they had built a crevice track in order to drive easier to climb into the mountains. At the top of the mountain, Gallitz tunnels crossed, which were 3,612 feet long and then went out of Johnstown.
On the other hand, the western part of the strip was built at the same time from the east of Pittsburgh along the banks of the two rivers Allegheny and Conemaugh to Johnstown. The PRR was given the right luggage for Philadelphia and Colombia and control of three lines connecting Lancaster and Harrisburg, establishing all the rail links between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh by 1854. 1857. PRR bought the main line of public works from Pennsylvania. The goal was to make a twice as big avenue since its creation and added two lines until the end of the century. Over the next 50 years, PRR gained control over other railroads by purchasing parcels and long-time leases.
Railway Line Pennsylvania
This time it grew up from a mixed rail channel network built by the state between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. In April 1846, the act of launching the Pennsylvania railway was adopted. The original capital was fixed, and it was $ 7,500,000, with the benefit of increasing them to $ 10,000,000. In 1847, the city of Philadelphia bought $ 2,500,000 worth of company fees. The headquarters of the Allegheny municipality bought $ 1,000,000. Great credit for the success of the Pennsylvania railway line is attached to the rigorous and military regime of workers who worked on this railway under the leadership of then President J. Edgar Thompson. For twenty years, he has designed and outlined his plan for the future of the Pennsylvania railroad and has never departed from that plan, continuing it persistently, patiently, and self-sustaining.
The main line of the Philadelphia and Reading railways (the original Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad and Northern Liberties and Penn Township Railroad) pass through Philadelphia on the southwest side of the Schuylkill River northwest of the city center (this line is now only used for freight trains). Then it passes through the tunnel below Pennsylvania Avenue and turns north-east from Callowhill Street. then turn to the south along the Broad Street, where the station is located. This line continues eastward to the Delaware River, passing through Willow Street.
The passenger station was later moved a little further away from the Wire Street, or the old cargo line. The second reading line, led by Philadelphia, Germantown and Norristown Railroad, now uses the SEPTA Passenger Service. This line passed northeast of the 9th street to the east-west on Willow Street. The station for this line was on Mount Vernon Street. In 2010, the center of the city districts and the newly established community Friends of the railway park began with estimates of the possibility of transforming the abandoned railway park into the exalted green park. The construction began in October 2016. In the first plan of planning it was planned to center a quarter of a mile off the stretch that stretches from Broad Street to Callowhill Street. This project includes a promenade, benches, a landscaped environment, a playground for children and the reinforcement of the existing 13th bridge. It is planned that the park will open at the earliest 2018
The objective of this project
The overground park will connect many city museums and galleries such as the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Rodin Museum, the Barnes Foundation and the Community College of Philadelphia. Architects will retain authentic materials and visual simplicity of existing bridging construction. Pre-cast steel that will be smoked with wooden benches, platforms and fences. As far as vegetation is concerned, there will be grass, low-fruity shrubs, and trees that will shade. The project is named Rail Park, which could be a free-to-do translation of the Railway Park. As the metro was introduced, fewer people used overhead railways in some parts of the city reaches the height of the third floor. At the end of 1980, train traffic was completely suspended.
As a renewed public space, Viaduct will successfully bring together wealthy and culturally diverse communities, develop economically, and provide incentives for the development of this part of Northern Philadelphia. Similar projects can be found in Paris and New York. They contributed to the revival of part of the city and triggered economic development. For example, in New York, the reconstruction of High Line created suggestions for building more than 10 high-rise buildings on their way. As in Paris and New York, the new recreational comfort in this part of Philadelphia will result in additional economic investments and infrastructure development.
Prompted great success of the Manhattan High Line Park, the central city district of Philadelphia, the purpose is to rebuild the Viadukt Reading Railroad, which wasn’t used since late 1984, in the green, civilian space. The idea of re-engineering has started in 2010, became partners with the Reading Viaduct project, and together with the City Chamber of Commerce and the Park and Recreation Cabinet. this idea came about as steel structures began to rune and pose a danger to residents and visitors, and the view of the city itself must never be neglected.
The research was carried out with the potential company SEPTA. It all started as a small meeting of the Quaternarians in 2011, where they discussed the community’s desires and expectations. In January 2012. Urbani, who were one of the research executives, and the project team, presented more project looks at a community meeting with residents, owners of the property, and business premises. Community members strongly want this part of the city to become a park, a green space with lots of grass and flowers, a walking trail and a bench for seating. They wanted the park to remain industrially significant, although there are still no conditions for it. At the beginning of March next year, urban and design teams, including demands made by community members, presented a new park plan. The design was required to enter Viaduct on North Street in Noble Street, 13th Street, and Noble, and on Callowhill Street between 11th and 12th Street. The community itself was delighted, resulting in the choice of preferred schema-designed alternatives.
A vision of the park
The vision of the board and design that is designed to turn the ruin of Viaduct into a beautiful vivid green park with climbing trails, landscaped environments, lighting, and seats. SEPTA rent this part of Viaduct for reconstruction purposes. At the end of the works, the board will hand over the completed project City of Philadelphia, whose owner will be a park and will have to hold it in co-operation with the Park and Recreation Section and the Friends of Rail Park organization. The structure of the bridge will be maintained by the Infrastructure Section. A new park of 25,000 square meters will provide the necessary green amenities in the neighborhood.
RVP – We are now in out tenth year of work advocating for the reuse of the Reading Viaduct as a park. In 2009 we began working with the Center City District. CCD brought in the William Penn Foundation and Poor Richard’s Charitable Trust which funded a new environmental study that clearly showed the benefits, economic and quality of life, to turning the Reading Viaduct into Philly’s next great park. Dialogue between the City of Philadelphia and Reading International (the holding company that owns most of the Viaduct) is ongoing. Meanwhile SEPTA and the City have made an agreement to transform the SEPTA owned portion into a park. Phase one, the Spur runs from Broad and Noble to the south side of 1100 Callowhill, In 2011 and 2012 a series of community design workshops were held with Bryan Hanes Studio and we now have the plans for the SEPTA spur.
As the Urban Engineers/Bryan Hanes design team is finalizing construction documents, the CCD, as project managers, arranged a meeting with the City’s Development Services Committee, where all the relevant approving agencies review and comment on the plans and provide guidance to the design team on a range of issues from bridge clearance, water run-off, emergency access, zoning to ADA. The design and engineering team will now follow up with each of these departments to finalize all plans in the next month so they are completely consistent with city codes. At the same time, the CCD is beginning to work on putting together the potential sources of capital funding for the project – so progress is occurring on multiple fronts.
RVP (and Callowhill Neighborhood Association, CNA) continue to act as the community liasons ; working with the neighborhood, CCD, Studio Bryan Hanes, Urban Engineers and the City of Philadelphia, as the process moves forward.
Please stay tuned for more information and save the date – April 5, 2013.
RVP’s first fundraiser.
Held with the support of S.U.R.F.A.C.E
More details TBA